Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Exhaustion and Diogenes

Sorry about my absence from Blogatopia; lately whatever time I am not spending at work I'm spending with Tank. I've made no real progress on thesis work in more than two weeks and I'm exhausted a good share of the time. The thing is, I find it very difficult to resist spending time with Bennett and Gina needs the help. Steve works 10 hour days and he worked the last two weekends (that means more than twenty days of work in a row) so he can't be around to help as much as he'd like, and when he does get any free time he wants to play video games and study in the hope that he'll get an interview in the aviation industry (I'm guessing that he is an introvert, in the sense that he "recharges" and feels refreshed only after having some time alone).

Now, on to a post:

My favorite philosopher right now is Diogenes, the Cynic. Diogenes wasn’t into writing, he just taught people out in the middle of the city. He thought Socrates was a hack and, when Plato defined man as an animal with two-legs and no feathers, he plucked a chicken and named it “Plato’s Man.” He was always up for insulting the elite, for instance, when he saw a prostitute’s kid throwing rocks at some rich guys he said, “Careful, you might hit your dad.”

Really, the thing that I’m not so happy about with Diogenes is that he always seemed to expect to be helped by others but no record exists of him helping a lot of others.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]