Monday, May 07, 2007

Humorous Homilies

Okay, so in the last several months, I've heard some good sermons from the most unlikely people. I was so busy working on preparing for visitors a few nights ago that I didn't remember that the TV was on until I heard a Carlos Mencia sketch where a preacher was talking about all of the reprehensible things that he had done and then he'd say, "and JE-sus . . ." and everybody seemed to forget about the horrible things he was doing and cheer when he said "JE-sus." It soon became obvious that he was doing terrible things and then using Jesus as a way to manipulate people into letting him get by with it. Then Jesus came in and tackled him. Go Jesus!

I don't regularly watch Mr. Mencia, and I'm not suggesting that you do (he tries to be as offensive as possible) but I think he was right: I'm sick and tired of people thinking that Jesus is just a way to manipulate other people, and I want it to stop. Can't somebody run out and tackle Pat Robertson, and that moron evangelical leader with the drug-dealing prostitute, and anyone else who uses the language of faith to get out of taking responsibility for his or her actions?

Before that I heard Christopher Titus' End of the World Tour. The critique of American Christianity (Catholicism) was very good, but I can't find a clip, but I did find the section on racism, responsibility, and apologising. Note the interplay between comedy and horror when you see it for yourself:



Finally, Craig Ferguson gives an autobiographical monologue on his own experiences as an alcoholic, which someone (I don't remember who) posted a few months ago:


Comments

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]