Friday, February 02, 2007

Of Babies and Whatnot

I love Tank. He is so perfectly wonderful and sweet and he only cries for a few minutes at a time (and then his mom gets him if he doesn't stop). He looks up at me with his deep blue eyes that don't see very well yet, and gives a wonderfully accurate Pop-eye impression (I supply the laugh).

I must admit, though, I don't know anything as terrifying as an infant. He's so small and fragile, what if someone trips while carrying him, what if he throws himself off the changing table, what if . . . well, what if anything happens to hurt him? I don't think I could bear it if he was seriously hurt or in danger.

You see, I have a lot of perfectly valid reasons to believe in my own ability to survive, but this little guy doesn't have that kind of cred. I can count on my physical strength to save me, and on my intelligence, but all he has is mommy and daddy and any of the rest of us who might be present during a given moment . . . and that terrifies me more than anything that could happen to me.

Comments

Comments:
Ty, remember God made babies to be very tough. Otherwise they never would have survived the tunnel.
I love to hear the love in your 'voice'. Besides Tank has you looking out for him. I couldn't think of a better guy to be his uncle.

wv: kckxx
you will kckxx as an uncle!
 
Ty, this is the sweetest thing I have ever heard you write! You'll be a fab uncle!
 
I have had the baby terror as well. Like when I am carrying a baby, what if I just freaked out and dropped her/him? It's kind of the same thing as when you are standing on the edge of a cliff and you start to think that maybe you might freak out and throw yourself over the edge.
 
the newborns scare me too. I was afraid to hold Sara when I was down the first time because I always had to walk with her... I'm still afraid I'm going to fall downt the stairs... but once they get a little meat on them and some control of their bodies, I love them the most.....
 
ty, I know EXACTLY what you mean. Laura is helping jan take care of the foster kids and I've assumed the role of holding a 6 month old when I'm over because it helps keep her quiet. I've said this before... I can drive a 2400 pound chunk of aluminum around the sky doing things that most people would swear off flying for life but get me around a baby and I"m a nervous wreck.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]