Thursday, January 04, 2007

Great Modern Poetry from the First Century BCE

We read some Catullus in Latin class, but I'm sure I missed this one back then; I'm glad that I saw it today in Burton Raffel's essay, "Translating Midieval European Poetry," in The Craft of Translation (eds. Biguenet and Schulte):

odi et amo: quare id faciam, fortasse requiris.
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.

My translation (poetic licence obvious):

I hate.
And I Love.

You must wonder why I do.

I don't know,
But it is happening.

And I do know that it is tearing.

me.

apart.


Comments

Comments:
That's pretty darn cool.

I sound so erudite when I use such lofty language.
 
Dear Diary,
Story of my effing life.
Thanks,
r1
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]