Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Wisdom from Robert Jordan II

(N)ever give up. No matter how bad things seem today, you just don’t give up. You don’t do it. As long as you believe that things will get better, they will. I don’t know why or how that works; it defies logic; but work it does. It is when [I] begin to believe that there is no hope that things start going bad. So DON’T GIVE UP! . . .

. . . When you are sure there’s nothing left, then you tell yourself, “I’m not giving up! I won’t quit!” And if you have to crawl into the ring, then you . . . crawl, man. You make the bell any way you can, and if you have to pull yourself to your feet by holding onto Liston’s trunks, you . . . do it. I know the pain. You can beat that. You can. It is surprising how you can make friends with the pain when you have to. Somehow, it doesn’t hurt so much then. It just is. But don’t you give up. . . .

--Robert Jordan

There've been a lot of people over the years I wish had listened to advice like that. It's good advice when you're shivering in a cold operating room, but it's even better advice when you don't know how you're going to make it through one more day without going nuts.

Comments

Comments:
Ty, Robert Jordan has it right. Can't tell you how many days I have looked forward to the next minute, hour, day with the hope that sooner or later all would be well. I think that sooner has arrived. Hope it stays awhile :)
 
Yeah, I understand.

The more I've thought about it, the more I think that this is even more appropriate for spiritual struggle than physical or mental. I've had so many friends who just gave up at some point. If you fight on through it, you can make it, never give up.
 
I needed that quote.

I have this big painting I have to make before the 20th, and it's freaking me out...
but I will just tackle it like a big huge opponent in the ring...and make friends with the pain.
thanks ty!
let's go hiking someday when I'm back in USA
 
Lumina, some days, my thesis eats my lunch, other days physical pain gets in my way, but every day I work past it.

Stephen King (in On Writing) says that there is no such thing as writers block. he doesn't mean that people never have trouble coming up with good stuff, he means that a person can (and should) always write something. That's one of the reasons I chose acrylics: they dry fast and you can paint over them any time you want to.

Tonight, I was painting a picture for a Christmas present. I've never been trained and I don't exactly know what I'm doing, but I used to watch my mom paint backdrops for a cable access tv show, and I learned a lot from it. I really enjoy it a lot, and I'm just good enough (and amateur enough) not to be overly embarrised by my work.

BTW - I would LOVE a good hike when you get back.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]