Thursday, December 14, 2006

Mom

Warning: This will be a random set of rambling.

Yesterday was my mom's birthday, I don't know which one (and wouldn't tell if I did). My mom is one of the sweetest people whom I have ever had the pleasure to know. She will try to help anyone, and she doesn't really want anything in return (except maybe a courteous response).

It is not hard to figure out where she got all that caring; my grammie, the Christmas party of whom I had the pleasure of attending tonight at the Sunbridge Care Center, is the same way. They both always look out for other people before themselves and spread love around where ever they can.

Mom always wanted us to call her "mommy," but both of us just skipped that stage. Mom was mom or momma, but as I get older, mommy seems more fitting.


When I was three, Gina went off to school. I, who had never been parted from my sister for more than an hour or two, was miserable. I felt like I was being left out of all the good stuff. Gina, on the other hand, was perhaps even more miserable, stuck in a classroom all day and longing for freedom.

Mom, recognizing just how much I wanted to be doing something important, like Gina, decided to help me out. She planned special times each day to do something special, just the two of us. I don't remember what we actually did, but it was important.

Poor Gina. She came home from her unjust confinement (after all, she had already taught herself to read, and read she did: Tom Sawyer was her first book) and she discovered that while she was forced to where she didn't want to be and do things she didn't want to do, I was at home living a better life than she had gotten to have before her daily exile.

Seeing just how miserable Gina was, my parents decided that it would be best to take her out of school for a while and teach her at home; and that is what Mom did. Mom had learned a lot about education when she helped Dad get his Masters of Education, and on her own, and, let's face it, she was a natural teacher. I can honestly say that the most important lessons that I learned in our educational situation were not academic: we learned responsibility, the love of service, and the importance of creativity. We were treated with love and respect, and we needed love and respect. Gina and I have a lot to live up to, and I hope that TANK will have as wonderful a childhood as we did.

Comments

Comments:
Yeah, I was super-jealous that you got to make banana bread with Mom when I was stuck at dumb old school. I'm still kind of bitter about it.

But I should clarify...yes, Tom Sawyer was the first book I ever read by myself, but it was a Children's Condensed Classics version, not the unabridged version. I didn't read the unabridged version till I was at least 8 or 9.

And, yeah, I have a lot to live up to. Poor TANK! His mom's not going to be nearly as fun as ours.
 
that was beautiful Ty
your mom seems to be a beautiful soul. your relationship with your sister reminds me of mine with my brother..priceless. happy birthday and a long long life :)
 
If Tank is anything like his mother, he will undoubtedly be fun to get into good natured arguments with ;)
 
Big John, I've tried to comment on your blog twice, but Beta hates me.

I'm trying to work it out (well, actually, my IT guy, Ty, is). Meanwhile, it's good to see you around the blogmunity.

(See, I'm being all nice to make you feel guilty for implying that I'm all argumentative and stuff.)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]