Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Anything Seem Wrong?

So, I'm very good at most things in the kitchen. I cook well and I bake very well. I've even won awards for my pumpkin pies (okay, so it was at church, but I did win first place over more than 20 other bakers). I've rarely had any trouble with a recipe unless there was an unusual factor involved (like having to cook for more than a dozen people), I even have a good rate of success with delicate and exotic recipes and some of my best creations were adaptations I made of an existing recipe on a whim.

So, what I'm saying is, I am usually a good baker. I enjoy it and I'm good at it. Tonight, however, my baking skills might be compared to the skill of Colin Farrell at remaining celibate, or Kevin Federline at singing, or Kermit the Frog at commitment; in other words, I burned the cookies.

As if that were not embarrising enough, I ruined the Rice Krispies® Squares, which I believe, needs an apostrophe after the ess on Krispies®, since they are composed of Rice Krispies® and always contain more than one. To be perfectly honest, I didn't understand the instructions until after I ruined them. The box said to "melt the butter and marshmallows:" Done. "Mix in the Rice Krispies®," I can do that, or I thought so until I got to the line, "until well coated."


Now, let's do the math: the recipe calls for 40 marshmallows and one LARGE box of Rice Krispies®. The 40 marshmallows create about two cups of marshmallow gunk. Two cups of marshmallow gunk will hold approximately three quarters of a box together, if you really work hard and don't care about the taste. If you want it to taste good, two cups of marshmallow gunk is enough to hold about a dozen individual Rice Krispies® together (I think that this might be my first exaggeration in this entry). So, as you can see, if one follows the recipe on the box, one will get just what I got, a lump of loosely adhered and almost completely unsweetened Rice Krispies® "treats." That, my friends, is NOT treatastic.


One happy note: I've rekindled a love of mine. I learned to love burned cookies when my mom would spend the day baking cookies for my cousin, Todd, who used to visit frequently. Todd was very picky about his cookies, so mom would bake several batches until she got one just right. While some of those rejected batches were perfectly good and would be doled out as dessert, some of them, on rare occasion (I remember two instances), were the victim of an unpredictable oven's whims. These victimized cookies were then made available to the child population of the house to consume as they wished.

Gina, always a character of refined taste and of too much pride to stoop to eating the seconds (when she could procure the cookies of highest quality through bargaining, theft, or subterfuge) would leave the burned cookies to me, after removing the portion of older sibling tax that was her due, and which consisted of any cookies which escaped enough damage to have edible portions, would allow me to eat the largest portion of the remaining cookies (and would additionally allow me to hand over any "good" cookies that might come my way).

[I believe I shall let the previous paragraph/ sentence run-on as it wishes, for the sake of the fans, from whom I receive many encouragements in this regard]

Because of this method of cookie distribution, I became accustomed to the burned cookies. I cannot even say that this happened over time, for it seemed that I loved these extra- crispy rejects from the beginning. I loved their dark and sultry flavor, the crunch as I bit down on them, even the smell of sugar exposed to heat greater than its want. Because those were always chocolate chip cookies, I thought it was only their sinister appeal that drove me to distraction (yes, I, who regularly refuses dessert, I, who would rather bake dessert than eat it, I, who eats ice cream more often as a social lubricant than for enjoyment), but such was not the case. I just ate half- a- dozen burned gingerbread cookies, and was compelled to drink three glasses of milk (to which I have an allergy, and to the lactose of which I am intolerant) in the process.

I am sick (and my physical condition will soon match the condition of my disease, due to the milk).

Comments

Comments:
being a (good, sometimes great) baker myself, i will tell you that rice krispies treats are one of the few things that you must NOT measure ingredients for.

(side note: measuring is extremely important in baking, but not in cooking. as a matter of fact, i recommend NOT measuring in cooking, as to allow for individual taste... rarely is the recommended one garlic clove, or 8 oz. shredded cheese enough. baking, however, is a science.)

basically, put a cube of butter in a pan, dump in a whole bag of marshmallows, melt it all together, then stir in cereal to desired stickiness level. done and done.
 
i think the BIG box aspect of the RKS was added before the creation of Jumbo Family sized RKS (or, as we call them at *$s, Chewy Marshmallow Squares.

true true that you should NEVER measure ingredients for this crispy chewey treat.

Krispies would only need an apostrophe if the individual krispy were posessing something. Or if they were Krispies' treats and they posessed the treats. And clearly, in this case, they owned you, so you are correct. An apostrophe is needed after the ess. :)

see you guys in a week!!!!!!!!!
 
Since RKTs are so easy to make, and since you are usually a good baker, it seems to me that if you mess up on RKTs but not on other baked goods, then it means that RKTs are not worth your time.

Please don't analyze that logic TOO closely.

All this to say that I think RKTs are lame anyway, so keep up the good work.
 
I am not a fan of RKT. They are too...what's the word....Gross! I also do not like burnt cookies. Now give me a cookie that is almost not baked enough...you know...if it is not cooled down enough before you grab it, it litterally falls apart...I will eat a whole plate.

I bake quite a bit. I sort of hate it...(Do I seem angry tonight?)...but my stupid diet (There. Again with the anger) calls for it. Maybe it's just one of those things...you like it if you have a choice, but if you have to do it then you would rather not? I don't know where I am going with this comment...so I will be done.
 
RM, I knew that cooking wasn't as regimented as baking, but I thought that measurements were reliable within reasonable parameters (a cup at the most).

AR, maybe I'm confusing the English possesive with Latin and Greek where possesives can indicate content (i.e. from the Christian Bible: Holy Spirit's gift/ gift which is the HS). We have some examples in English, but I can't come up with one that is unambiguous (Parents' Association: an association that is made up of parents -- but it may also be an association belonging to parents).

Roni and Jess, I'm making them because Steve's troops are rumored to like them (I baked two batches of gingerbread cookies and three of oatmeal cookies for them too, and I'm considering some actual gingerbread or bananna bread or something of that sort too).
 
I don't recall any of this good-cookie-hording, burnt-cookie-allowing business. But it was funny, so I forgive you for your blatant fabrications and for maligning my character. Obviously, the child Gina was no more capable of being so selfish than the adult Gina is.

I remember the good old days when I was the one who had the energy and benevolence to provide massive quantities of baked goodness for the boys in the shop. Now that I work all day and can't stand up for more than about 4 minutes without earning myself an epic backache, I'm happy to pass the baton to you, mon frere.
 
Remember when we (and by "we", I mean "I") made really gross chocolate chip cookies and then drank a gallon of water each and I almost passed out because that much water diluted all my electrolytes? Those were the days....
 
Ty, if it weren't for burnt cookies, most of us would not know what good cookies truly are. Gina, you are my sister in christ and you were very much like my sister in high school in the manner we bickered all the time. I say all this to soften the blow inherent to me saying.. you were the one who shot down every suggestion for jr/sr in 92 that didn't have the words multnomah falls lodge in them so yes, you can be that stubborn and selfish :D Merry christmas all!!!
 
Em, good times . . . good times. Yeah, I remember. Of course, I had the advantage with drinking water, since I regularly downed more then a gallon of tea or DP at restaurants.

John, Gina claims to be a little too selfish, and she occasionally seems to be, on the surface, but I've learned that it isn't actually true, most of the time. Most of the time, Gina just knows what is best for the people involved and tries to convince them to do it, and digs in stubbornly until they listen.

You wouldn't believe how many times I've either wished I'd listened to her advice or been glad I listened when I did. I can't remember a time when I regretted listening to her.
 
You're right ty. I am sorry for the implication,
 
No need for an apology, J, Gina often characterizes herself as selfish (I'm sure she intended her comment as irony), I just happen to disagree with her on that subject.
 
John, you're probably right about me shooting down ideas (although I doubt I had the kind of "political power" to actually get my ideas listened to), but the Jr/Sr I helped plan was held at the Alexis downtown. And we just chose it because it was the cheapest place we could find that had enough space. I probably did lobby for it, though.

The Jr/Sr at Multnomah Falls Lodge was planned for us when we were seniors by the class behind us. And it was WAY nicer than the one I helped plan. I WISH I had thought of having it at Multnomah Falls--I'm guessing it was Andrea and Cheryl's idea.

P.S. I totally admit to being selfish and bossy. My biggest fault, but also part of my charm...right? =P
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]