Wednesday, July 12, 2006

A Word on Malapropisms

In honor of Rizzle's post of June 27th, in which he used malapropisms, either coincidently, or (what I prefer to believe, because I think Ryan is a comic genius) on purpose, I shall here mention a few terms which no one should confuse except in the cause of comedy.

As James clarified on Ryan's blog, an epitaph is a statement about the dead, a epithet is said about the person you wish was dead.

A genius is a person with a very high level of intelligence, a genus is a group or type, like categories of biological entities or versions of Trivial Pursuit.

An illusion is something performed by a by a magician usually with little skill, an allusion is a device used by an author with skill (I said illude for allude yesterday).

An Abbess governs nuns, the abyss is the bottomless pit of hell you'll be cast into if you don't do what she says.

One dissembles to keep the truth from being revealed but one disassembles to fit something into a box or to see how it works.

Using whips was performed by certain monastics who were ascetic, but art is commonly judged by whether it fits a certain aesthetic.

The aforementioned whipping was an act of flagellation, but cows are supposedly destroying the ozone layer through acts of flatulation.

Comments:
You are awesomely nerdy. I heart you, bro.
 
this post made me smiiiiiile.

the other night i had some girls over over and we were talking about this very thing. well, sort of.

someone brought one up, and i honestly can't recall which and my response was how i'm always secretly giggling when someone in church says how Jesus was "prostate in the garden."
 
I love intentional malpropisms - they can be wicked funny. I also enjoy the unintentional kind, but I kinda feel bad for the person saying them. I just want to help them say it correctly, but I can't without embarrassing them. RM, you made me think of the person who asked for prayers for someone who has prostrate cancer - and they just kept saying it, so I didn't hear them wrong.

verification: earxbqv
 
oh man, i just thought of a funny one... you know, cause i love this topic and i've been brewin' on it.

my mother has this friend who got it into her head somewhere along the way that redundant means stupid.

and she uses it ALL the time. "man, i can't believe he brought me iced tea when i asked for hot coffee, he's so redundant."

so she loves this word soooo much that she's even shortened it and will say "he's such a redundo."

the killer is that every once in a while, it works. "why do you keep repeating yourself? you are sooo redundant, you redundo."

i should blow her mind, and someday when she's unemployed send her a card that says "enjoy your redundancy."
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]