Thursday, June 01, 2006

OUCH!

So, you know of my (now occasional, rather than regular) ten-mile walks; and, if you read the comments on Jeb and Priscilla's blog, you know that I walked 2,000 stairs a few days ago. Since you Know that, I can tell you this: today I combined those two things. I knew that it was stupid, but I did it.

Then we got home and Gina called Steve, to find out that he would not get home until after 8. Since Steve and Gina just started walking two miles a night together last week (which, by the way, is a MUCH bigger deal than me running a marathon . . . on my hands . . . in the rain . . . carrying a merry band of singing Gypsies balanced on the soles of my feet . . . while I recite the entire Bible from memory . . . backwards . . . well, maybe not that big, but VERY BIG), it was going to break the habit on only the second day. So, you guessed it, I volunteered to walk the two miles too; afterall, what is two more miles on top of that? And I'd do it again too!

Needless to say (but evidently it isn't -- see comments on Jeb and Priscilla's blog), I AM SORE! I ACHE! MY FEET HURT! But I'll be okay and, "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger," (I know that you think that is from Nietzsche, but it is from Conan the Barbarian) so I'll be stronger too. Besides, I get to brag that I walked twelve miles AND walked about a mile of stairs (each way) in the same day.

Comments:
and then afterwards you get to brag about spending a week recovering...or we wait to hear the truth from Gina sometime down the road...

pris
 
but at the same time i am kind of envious of you being so devoted to fitness...
 
I just started working out. I do this mom work out hing called baby bootcamp. I've never worke out in my whole life and I will tell you one thing my friend, It is kicking my butt! Interestingly enough though, I sort of love that. Hmmm...
 
I not really devoted to fitness, I'm just tired of feeling like I'm just getting fatter all the time and not doing anything about it.

. . . And, yes, I will be sore for a long time, I think.

Jess, good for you, does Jones get to be a part of the exercises too?
 
I think we have all read how I feel about exercise... I actually woke up this morning ready to go "run" and the only place I ran was to the refrigerator to get an ice cream bar... for breakfast... It tasted like meat (that means it wasn't very good...)
 
Thank you Arwen, I didn't know meat taste in an ice cream bar meant that¡ But I do sing, "floating on an Ice cream bar," while Cobane sings, "all-in-all it's all we are," or whatever those lyrics are.
 
i liked that story, because it was inspiring, but mostly because it resulted in a comment about you singing those incorrect lyrics.
 
I don't think you know quite how rough a marathon is on your body my accident prone friend.
 
He also sings "Michael rode the goat ashore, Hallelujah" instead of "Michael rowed the boat ashore, Hallelujah." But at least he's mangling it on purpose, unlike certain former roommates who will remain nameless.

In other news, I got to listen to his Litany of Blisters on the way to work this morning. That's a great way to start your morning.¡
 
have i mentioned how nice it is to be bloggin' it up frost kid style?

let's hear it for old friends.
 
Woot! Woot! for old friends. Nearly everyone here qualifies. And Woot! for new friends, too, because Arwen rocks.
 
I don't think I'd actually run a marathon, though I think I could walk one, but I'd probably take eight hours to do it. I was just saying that, for Gina, two miles-a-day is like me training to run the Boston Marathon, except that she doesn't have a level of stupidity that will allow her to push herself past a reasonable exersion.

I just thought of a good parallel: Gina is to vigerous exercise as Ty is to fabric shopping.

(I can already hear Gina typing a post in response)
 
Ty you are amazing...so do you talk to yourself in one of you six languages while putting one foot in front of the other? I am afraid I would trip trying that!
 
Actually, if I am walking slowly, I sometimes do repeat the phrases that I know in some of the languages that I want to learn but haven't yet passed the very beginning stage of language acquisition, like Japanese or Modern Greek. I imagine that if I tried to do that while I was walking faster than three miles an hour, I'd mess up all of the words because I couldn't breathe.
 
Well, though it hurt at the time I was not actually very sore this weekend. I guess that means I need to push myself harder;)
 
My former college roomie(The Very Funny Heather Hartman)sang: "To reedeem a lost Hugh Manatee" instead of "lost humanity." Possibly a little sacreligious, but it made us giggle in chapel nonetheless.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]