Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Exercise, Weight, and Goal Setting

When I took a health class as a Junior in college, we were encouraged (read:
required) to formulate at least one fitness goal: Today I have reached mine,
I now weigh more than two-hundred pounds and have a reasonable fat
percentage, thanks to my recent (and fairly regular) abnormal amount of
exercise. That's right, people, I put on weight, at least five pounds, by
walking 2,000 to 4,000 stairs and 12 to 14 miles every four days or so. Now
I am officially obese, at least according to the BMI charts, and I, an obese
person, am more fit than I have been in all my years as a husky person (i.e. since high school).

I wonder, if our society were not so obsessed with calling people names
because of their weight, if we did not feel obligated to categorize people
all the time, would we have as many eating disorders? I think not. I think
that the very system which seeks to make people healthy by providing them
with parameters into which they must fit in order to be considered healthy,
causes people to fixate on weight, which can result in either anorexia or in
habitual binges. Watching TV the other day, I saw a story about a woman with
severe anorexia, and guess what kind of commercial came on . . . You guessed
it, a Gold's Gym commercial and then . . . Yep, a Jenny Craig commercial.

"Do you fixate on how much you weigh? NO! . . . You DON'T!? What's wrong
with you? You need to get out there and start structuring your life around
food and exercise. After all, abstaining from food is god, at least when
combined with exercise. Ignore your relationships and obligations, they
can't be as important as looking good (by which we mean having all your
bones poke out through your paper-thin skin). Don't forget, Anorexia is
better than bulimia; bulimics can't lose as much and damage their teeth with
stomach acid, so try to be an anorexic first, and, if that fails, you can
always fall back on bulimia."

"Of course, if you can't manage either, that just means that you are always
going to look like a beached whale, so you might as well drink bacon grease
and eat as much refined sugar as you can, because you may explode from your
corpulence any way, and you might as well make as big a splat as possible."


Comments:
I find it interesting that according to my BMI I am obese...I wear size 12 jeans. If I am to be 'healthy' I need to lose another 30lbs. Aint gona happen. That was like 30 years ago. I will go with what my DH says...he likes me plump :)
 
you are soooo on to something. i am FAT. i actually refer to myself as "round," cause i don't like how negative "fat" sounds. but i'm a healthy fat person. i drink all my water, eat fairly healthy food (just, clearly, too much of it, as i'm obviously not burning nearly as many as i'm consuming), have great blood pressure and cholesterol levels. i agree that i'm doing my joints no favors, and i even understand that i'm asking a lot of my heart, because it does have to pump blood to a bigger body than it is designed for.

that being said. i'm hot. maybe not to you, but to lots of people. i was told on tuesday night at my sons baseball game that i should be a plus size model. not for the first time, either. i'm not bragging, i'm really not.... i had my share of ugly years. when i was thin. i didn't know i was attractive till i got fat and stopped being so obsessed. did i mention i was bulemic when i was thin?

basically, what i'm trying to say is this... if the world didn't tell me there was something wrong with me, i wouldn't know it. i think i'm fantastic. my husband thinks i'm fantastic, and my God certianly thinks i'm fantastic. He just wishes i'd seek Him for comfort instead of food.
 
Dody, I'm in exactly the same category. I'm 5'4", I wear size 12 jeans, and I still have a waist. I even get honked at by oversexed idiots occaisonally, so I'm not repulsive. But I'm obese because I'm 30 pounds overweight. (Realistically, I probably could and should lose those 30 pounds, but it takes more discipline than I'm ready to exert at this point.) Shouldn't there be some category between "fit" and "obese"? I mean, I'm pretty sure "obese" should be reserved for those who are over 100 lbs overweight. How about a middle ground called "fluffy" or "cuddly"? Because, let's face it--I'm a lot more comfortable to hug than Mary-Kate Olson.

Rebecca Marie, if only more people could realize that it's okay not to be a size 4! I find it incredibly ironic that this country has a big fat crush on "diverisity", except when it comes to size. I'm starting to think that size-ism is the last acceptable predjudice. If you're healthy and happy, what's the problem?
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
I admit I worry too much about my body. I probably spend too much time at the gym. I spend way too much time counting all the calories i ate during the day and how many i need to burn at the gym. And i obsess that i am being judged on my size every minute i am with a group people, even if in reality i know its not true. I hate that the world effects me like that. and I hate that i feel like i have to compete with all the too skinny girls out there. compete for what? i don't know. why do i feel like i need to be what the world tells me to be? i dont know. but i find myself thinking more about how i want to look when my tiny skinny in-laws come to visit than i do accepting God's love and acceptence. This is a problem.
 
Yeah, I understand, I always remind myself that the mirror adds 30 pounds, in other words, for those of us who struggle with body-image issues, we are usually far more critical of ourselves than we would be of anyone else.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]