Friday, May 26, 2006

Storm Warning

No, not Storm from the third X-Men movie; though, I have to say that they had the character say some pretty dumb stuff. No, I'm talking about the thunder and lightening that is supposed to impinge on Boise over the entire three-day weekend. I'm just warning you that I can't afford to take chances, so I'll turn off my computer at the first sign of lightening.

I know what you're thinking, "How am I going to live without Ty's blog?¡" Well, I'll tell you how: by being good stoics and toughing it out. You can go to a movie or art museum, I know it cannot give you the joy of one of my blog entries, but that is okay, you just need something to distract you from the pain of your loss¡

In the meantime, I'd like to know what you are reading now. When I was in Junior High I had insomnia, as I did these last three weeks, and I read more than a thousand pages-a-night. Books were like drugs for me; I made a deal with Jeff Haug to borrow an entire Sci-Fi/Fantesy series from him and I read one or two books each night. I read about 40 of my dad's Louis L'Amour books and a few Zane Grey westerns too, but I got tired of them, I read all the Readers Digest Condensed Books that didn't look too depressing, I read Green Mansions, and Jane Eyre and a few Dickens books, and I never got more than a few hours sleep; my best friend kept asking me if I was on drugs because I was always half asleep.

Now I've been battling insomnia, but I haven't been reading any more than usual. I just finished a great book, The War for Palestine and I'm re-reading Robert Jordan, I also have the classic, Orentialism by Edward Said, which I just started, and I finished a Star Wars novel last week (it was kinda' bad but I've read 50-something Star Wars books, so I can't quit now, it's an addiction); I almost forgot, I'm re-reading the graphic novel Kingdom Come. So what have you been reading, what are you reading right now, and what do you plan to read in the near future? Also, what do you want to have read but are unwilling to spend the time to read?

Comments:
right now I am reading these words. Right before that I read your blog. If you are mad crazy at signification, you can actually go to my blog and see what I'm reading (or planning to read this summer). Gosh...it's like I read your mind!
 
I'm currently reading A Farewell To Arms by Hemmingway and Prayer by Richard Foster. I just finished Othello. And every now and then I've been digging into Poe short stories. It's been fun.
Oh, and Sports Illustrated
 
No lightening yet, but plenty of rain; but instead of reading, guess what I got to do . . . NO! You're all wrong, I got to help steve and our landscaper friend install sod in the back yard . . . in six inches of mud . . . good times . . . good times.
 
Rush, I read Foucault's Power/Knowledge a few monthes ago. He often makes very good points using very unlikely materials.

Arwen, cool, I don't think I've finished any of those yet, though I made it through a lot of FH 451. Good book, but anvilicious at times; Bradbury does that.

Rizzle, all my friends are talking about A Farewell to Arms but I've never read it. I find that Foster is good, but there is no need to read more than one of his books, I have an 1890's copy of Othello somewhere, it was one of my first Shakespeare's too. Poe is a master, though some of his poetry evidently can't truly be appreciated unless drunk and wandering the streets of London, at nigh, in the rain, while insane. I've never really read an issue of SI, except in doctor's offices.
 
i'm reading three books right now, strange highways by dean koontz, it's old school dean koonts, and it is comprised of novellas and it is also coprised of awesome.

i'm reading dark horse by tammy hoag.

i'm reading kissed the girls and made them cry by somebody bevere (too lazy to go check).

two fluff, one good God filled thing.

what i'd LIKE to read are these;

da vinci code (to see what the fuss is about)
forever thomas (odd thomas, also dean koontz, was spectacular)
x-men comics, the originals. just saw x-3 thursday night and i'm practically in mourning now that they are over. but there was a pretty major mutation vs. magical powers flaw (don't want to give it away here), kind of like the error in x-2 with yuriko oyama, and i want to READ the comics to find more. i like that kind of thing.

and yes, i am aware that stan lee signs off on the screenplays, i get that he's okay with the changes. i'm not saying the changes shouldn't exsist, i'm just saying i like finding them and forming opinions on them.

go to bed, rebecca marie... you're getting worked up about comic books, how decidedly unfeminine.
 
The Journey of Desire - John Eldredge
Church Planting - Stuart Murray
Planting Missional Churches - Ed Stetzer

on my shelf waiting to be read:
Searching for God Knows What - Don Miller

on order (and I'm getting excited)
Preaching Re-Imagined - Doug Pagitt
Church Re-Imagined - " "
Becoming Conversant with the Emerging Church - D.A. Carson
 
Rush, I rather liked The Shaping of Things to Come when I looked it over at your place. I also believe that Derrida should be required reading for missionaries, but I also think that misrepresenting him is ironic humor, and I am always on board with that. Did I ever tell you that when Derrida found out that American schools consistently misrepresented his work, Derrida started teaching in America according to their expectations, rather than by his original methods? Man, he was an odd genius . . . yes, I know, I'm one to talk.
 
Hi Ty. I'm re-reading Robert Jordan too! (Book 7)
 
I'm on book 7; it's nice to be in good company.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]