Tuesday, May 16, 2006

RE: Lisa's post: Grey's Anatomy and morality

Lisa posted about last night's finale of Grey's Anatomy and several people questioned the moral compass of the show, so I began to write a post, realized that it was getting too long and then transferred it to my blog. Here is what I wrote:

Okay, so I, like you, cried at Grey's Anatomy last night, questioned their use of selfishness, and shook my fist at the Television, but I came to the conclusion that they are not necessarily promoting the selfishness which they portray.

I come to this conclusion by following the plot lines of several of the immoral or unethical actions portrayed and realized that they are not unrealistic about the consequences of selfish actions: Izzy looses what little time she might have had with Denny (a guy who seemed really likeable to me, though I understand the creepy vibe too) because she steals his heart (not in the "in-love" sort of way but in the psychotic- girl- who- schemes- to- steal- a- donor- heart- from- a- guy- with- a- family- even- though- the- guy- that- she's- stealing- it- for- doesn't- want- her- to sort of way); they let us know about the guy who would have gotten the heart and his family (though they could have made it a bigger point); the guy who wears the greasy badger on his head (just kidding --I know you love his hair) winds up being the biggest jerk in the universe because he cheats on the prettiest woman on the show (what kind of guy can even look away when she is around?) because he's too selfish to let Meredith- the- emotional- vacuum (all her feelings suck like a Hoover, the little leech) have any kind of closure (he'll never get cancer --big jerks never get cancer); beyond which, they portray the continuing devastation wrought by Dr. Picken's affair, even though it took place before the timeline of the show;as for the whole George sleeping with that whorable woman, how does it look like that is working out for him? they don't cover up the consequences of adopting a sexual relationship because of convenience, but they let us know, even before the break-up, that both parties are suffering/ will suffer for their selfishness, even though she may actually be in love with him; they also, through the story of Izzy and Denny, give us a lesson on why medical ethics takes some of the stands that we might question.

Because of those, and many other points of plot, I would say that to call the show immoral or to say that it reinforces selfishness, is like saying that The Scarlet Letter (the book, not that thrice condemned piece of cinematic putressence) was glorifying adultery.
The act of elevating consequences of transgressions, rather than insulating the audience from these consequences, turns the show into an American parable, which illustrates the here-and-now consequences of our selfish actions.

Comments:
I agree! I don't think that people necessarily find their morals from a TV program, they may see things they like or don't like, but the truth, we can't expect moral material from an immoral industry. I think the show does a very good job of portraying emotion and consequences of actions, and how they have to work through their issues. In real life we make mistakes and try to learn from them, but often times we fall again. So I agree that there are selfish and immoral things portrayed in the show as a whole, but isn't that the world we live in? I would hope that for most people who watch the show already have their morals and standards in place and can take away from the show what speaks to them, and not look for their answers to life's questions.
 
I am not as considerate as you, so I posted a wicked-long comment on Lisa's blog. What's weird is that in my comment, I made some very similar points in my own wordy way--it sounds like we discussed these issues after the show, even though we didn't. Wonder Twin Powers!

I sort of wish Denny hadn't died--I thought he was adorable, and not particularly creepy at all. But they did make a much bigger point about medical ethics and the dangers of getting too emotionally involved with a patient that they couldn't have made if he'd lived. He kind of had to die for the show to preserve its integrity. I love the show House, but they do a lot of unethical things and rarely deal with the consequences on that show.
 
I love House also. It is the portrayl of a dr with a hugh "God complex". Yes it is excessive but having worked with drs..ok veterinarians..drs are drs. I marvel at his seemingly lack of care and concern but laugh all the same. Have you noticed though that House is beginning to evolve?

I still believe that Grey's Anatomy is a book..
 
oooooooooo, good post. I really do love the show. And look, it even stirrs up great debate! Don't cha just love opinions? And isn't it funny how, when people try to stick up for something they believe in, every one else gets all defensive and moody!

I think I'll go now.
 
so... um... though no one is willing to say it, it seems that I am the only one who thought that Denny was a little creepy.
 
Arwen, I think you're just afraid of sick people. Or stubble. (What, shaving once in a while would have jeopardized his heart?)
 
Actually, I think I'm afraid of overly (in my eyes) flirtatious guys... and that is pure honesty... I really am. They make me super uncomfortable...
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]