Sunday, May 21, 2006

Poetry: Emotional Depth is Un-Christian ¡

Before I start my comments, you ought to go look at Curt's post Biblical Illiteracy in Christian Music and Ryan's post, Christian Rock, because I don't want to just rehash their posts.

First, let me say that I have two problems with the Christian Music I heard as a kid and the stuff I heard at Pamplin Music, in churches (esp. non-liturgical churches) and, recently, on worship and praise albums: bad poetry, the greatest crime (for me) and bad music, which, I'm sure many of you abhor. so, since I have no significant knowledge of music, I'd like to talk about bad poetry and good poetry. I apologise to those of you who sang in those groups . . . I still enjoyed what you did . . . I just think that one aspect of your work was not as fully developed as I think it should be.

What is the purpose of poetry? There are various appropriate answers:

1. to function as works of art (thus avant garde poetry)
2. to carry out a stylistic function of genre humor (cf. limericks etc.)
3. to carry out a stylistic function of ancient historiography, myth or epic (not that these are really different in significant ways)
4. to emphasize something (thus its use by biblical prophets)
5. as a memory tool (cf. Psalm 119)
6. as a formal aspect of address to the gods or to God
7. to communicate emotions deeper than words alone can convey (the Psalms are full of this --13 is my favorite)


Let's sort these out. 1 is appropriate as long as it is a secondary function of the piece; 2 may be of use in a sermon, but is out of place in what we commonly refer to as worship or praise; 3 might be useful if we were constructing liturgical prayers, but, as its traditional length and content tend to preclude it from musical recitation, it is not a common option; 4 is also appropriate as a secondary function and would serve the preacher more readily than the musician; 5 would, again, be useful in a liturgical framework, and outside the high-church as a carrier for theology; 6 is essentially the only purpose which Christian music seems to claim for its art; 7 is, it seems to me, the most appropriate and necessary function of poetry.

I am not saying that there is no place for the shallow "we love God YAY!" songs, happy-clappy is good until you are 12. Once you begin to have problems in your life, though, happy-clappy just doesn't cut it. Go back and read the Psalms; there are more psalms that deal with true hardship and unresolved feelings of abandonment than there are naïve, all-is-right-with-the-world psalms. I overlooked all this the first time I read the Psalms. I was really just reading as a spiritual discipline, so I wasn't looking too closely at the content. Then I randomly picked a Psalm with which I was unfamiliar and which was short in order to memorize it; the psalm I picked was 13 (this is from a 10 year old memory, so it might not be exact):

How long, O LORD,
Will you forget me forever?
How long must I struggle with my thoughts
and every day have sorrow in my soul?
Look on me and answer!
Give light to my eyes or I shall sleep in death.
My enemy will say, "I have overcome him."
And my foe will laugh when I fall.

[This is just a guess, but the following may be something written after the problem is resolved, since it doesn't fit the tone of the rest of the piece]

But I trust in your unfailing love,
My heart rejoices in your salvation.
I will sing to the LORD because he has been good to me.

I then asked, "why is that in there? I mean, I feel like that, but how can that be in the Bible? This guy is questioning God." In my studies since then, I discovered that one of the chief identifying characteristics of people of God; one of the characteristics of Jesus (in the garden/at Calvary), is a willingness to question God, while never losing faith in him (and, often, never getting answers). How many songs do you hear that do that? There are a few, but more, like It is well with my soul avoid the issue of the apparent betrayal by God (Jesus on the cross anyone?) and just move right on to reconciliation to the way life is without ever laying it on the line. My friends, only praying that way, only singing that way, just ain't Christian. People who look like Jesus would pray like Jesus did, "My God . . . MY GOD . . . WHY did you LEAVE me?" It is okay to pray, "Not my will but yours be done." But ONLY . . . let me emphasize this . . . ONLY ONLY ONLY if that prayer is honest!

We should never be afraid to share or pain and anger with God and, in fact, the Psalms, which have served as the prayers of the gathered people of faith, both in Israel and in Christianity for at least FOUR THOUSAND years, are filled with these prayers. I beg of you Christians, especially those who are able to write songs, write songs of disillusionment and lament as well as songs of joy. God is not an idol to be manipulated by our lies, God is bigger than that. If a friend (or a child) was angry with me, I would be okay with that friend if they were honest with me, even if it hurt. I would rather hear it than have them treat me like everything was great when, inside, they are falling apart because of their anger at me, just or unjust. I would be a bad friend if I was not okay with that, and God would be a bad god (yes small-g) if he were not okay with that. I'd be willing to walk up Mount Carmel on this one.

If you are interested in understanding this more fully, or if you want me to change my mind, read Walter Brueggemann's Psalms in the Life of Faith, then read the book of Psalms again, then Lamentations, Jeremiah, Isaiah, then skim the Brueggemann book again, then read the book of twelve (all the smaller books of prophets: Hosea through Malachi), then you can complain to me if you think I'm wrong. BTW: you shouldn't read Job again until you understand it in the context of these other books.

The Christian group from my era that most fully explored this was Church of Rythm on their Album, Not Perfect; I especially liked the song "Life is worth Fighting for," even if the title does end in a preposition. Unfortunately, they were not together for long, and the Christian music world was not greatly influenced by their work (at least at the time).

I look forward to hearing your songs.

Other blog posts of interest: Jamie's blog and Witherington on Poetry

Comments:
Once there was an old man, sitting in his threadbare relciner, musing over the menaingful moments of his life; the meager contributions one man can make; the relationship one invests in; the prayers that are sent heavenward.
In his ample lap rested the old man's computer where words and images splashed, illuminating not only his darkened home, but also his old heart. With deft fingers, the ancient youth minister scrolled and clicked, reading the clever, humorous, and insightful thoughts of his old youth group members and their little friends.
As he linked from one blogsite to the next, the old man's heart warmed ... he sighed deeply ... and a tear fell.
KW
 
If I was a little smarter and more widely-read, I could have written that myself. But I'm glad you're the one who wrote it because it would have taken me a month.
 
so, i haven't read the post yet, but im sure its good. I just am wondering if you got my email?
 
Kdub, to recall biblical language: We are your blog, written in your heart, known and read by all men . . . written not with pixels and fonts, but with the Spirit of the living God.

Well, perhaps we don't have "all men" as readers, but the point is the same. I am sure I speak for many of my blogmunity when I say, we are proud to have you, as Paul called himself, our spiritual father. I, who am also blessed with a Godly father by birth, no less than those who were not so blessed.
 
Lisa, I sent two replies, sorry you didn't receive them. The disk should be in San Diego in 3-4 days.
 
Ty- i will dedicate a whole blog to you for your kindness! you know, this will be the best anniversary present for Rolo, he may even cry a little!

thank you, seriously, its something so stupid, but it really means a lot.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]