Wednesday, April 26, 2006

A Case of Mistaken Identity

A few monthes ago I noticed a beautiful building near Gina's work. At one time it had been a bank, and it still has the sign carved into the stone above the door. I soon noticed another sign, obviously designed to go with the style of the building, which read simply, "Shakers."

On viewing the sign, I thought, "Wow, the Shakers, the 18th century religious group that practiced celibacy and adoption, among other things. This must be a Shaker museum or furniture galery. Gina and I HAVE to come down and look at the furnature. I hear they made some of the best furnature ever, classy, simple, elegant, really good stuff."

So a few days go by and I havent gotten around to making plans and I hear, "Come down to Shaker's Saloon. . . $2 long necks and $1 drafts. Watch the game on our big screens and enjoy the fabulous Shaker Girls."

So . . . I guess I'm not going to get to see any Shaker furnature.

Comments:
Do poles count as funiture? How about bar stools?
 
I knew it was coming, but it was still funny! Go figure that a group of people who believe in celebacy would be reduced to "a handful in Maine"...

oh yeah-- and I don't think we have met... I wasn't in the Yamhill crowd until fairly recently (like 2001, really) and so... yeah. I don't think we've met.Jess says no. we haven't
 
Their adoption habits were supposed to counteract the celebacy thing . . . BTW I'm impressed at your random knowledge.

I still go out to Yamhill. I always counsel 3rd and 4th grade, and I sometimes visit during other camps (I usually know people working there as well as counselors and campers). But I don't really know, and I don't suppose it matters.
 
An outing to look at cool furniture sounds great--Lord knows I've dragged you to enough furniture stores in the last few years to fill your lifetime quota.

But going to what would probably turn out to be a strip club with you? Uh, no. If there is a worse place to go with your opposite-gender sibling, I don't want to know about it.

Arwen, I'm pretty sure I've never met you either, but you're high on my Must Meet Someday list!
 
*napoleon voice* Yessss....
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]