Sunday, March 19, 2006

That's why there are rules about these things.

Alright . . . THAT'S IT!

This morning the songleader decided that his original postings were inadiquate and sang an extra four songs. Now, I love to sing, but, from the time I was in High School, I've had a very sensative throat. When I was in choir, I used to lose my voice about once a week (which is one of the reasons that I didn't join in college). Like I said, I like to sing, so, when somebody breaks the two songs and a prayer rule (2s & ap), I can't control myself, I have to sing that fourth, fifth, or, in this case, eighth song. Somehow I think that this time will be different, that I'll be able to keep my voice. Even in a 2s & ap service, I often have to change the register in which I'm singing in order to keep my voice, but, in a longer song service, I can feel the soreness before we stop singing. So now my throat is sore and I sound like a cancer patient.

Thanks a lot Eight Song Guy (read sarcasm mark here).

This must be why they started the 3s & ap rule in the first place. Come on people, read your bibles (I'm not sure whether this should be a sarcasm mark, because I'm being sarcastic, or an Irony mark, because I should know that the 2s & ap rule isn't scriptural).

Comments:
AMEN! Hug and Howdy time was one of my dad's main dissatisfactions with our congregation when I was growing up. He has some minor anxiety issues, I think, when it comes to forced social situations. I'm all for a little stretching of people's boundaries, but each person should be free to decide what they are willing to do, they shouldn't be bullied into it by a songleader with a messiah complex.

BTW one of my favorite pastimes, at one point in my church-going past, was to laugh at the unintentional antics of a certain song leader who's ego was GIGANTIC. My friend, Jeremy, and I would have a hard time holding back the laughter every time he'd drop a name, or mention some marvelous skill, or over-pronounce the words, or act like the congregation knew how to read music, or use flambouyant movements to direct a song that was supposed to be slow (eg. "Rock of Ages"). I do feel a little guilty about it, but it sure made his horrible bids for attention easier to handle.
 
Matt?
 
Nope. But if Ty or other innocent bystanders said the real name, it would be too recognizable and might offend mutual friends.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]