Monday, February 18, 2008

Wake up and Go Home

What do you do after an opera? Well today I listened to Haydn after listening to some Wagner on Pandora. No, I'm not especially cultured or anything, being a musical moron (I know less about music than almost any other mainstream field of inquiry), I just happen to like the variety and depth of textures presented by classical music. It seems like no one but the great composers has discovered that silence can be more moving than noise, that the drum need not run the show, that variation in volume is as important as change in tempo.

Some people like Haydn because he wrote such an amazing variety of pieces (104 symphonies) or because he was an outstanding person (just read a little about him), I like him because he wrote his Symphony 94 with shocking changes just to wake up the people who normally fall asleep at the symphony.

Comments:
Ty: thanks for your post on my blog! It's good to know that someone besides me reads it now and then. :-) I responded with this comment: "Why is it that we Christians fear the truth about ourselves if we are committed to truth and if we trust God's grace? Our fear of truth undermines both of those." Didn't know if you would ever see it, and after reading some of your blogstuff I thought you'd be a good person to know. ck
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]